My pet has died at home


Where do I begin?

When your pet has passed at home, families generally have two questions:

Can you come to my home to receive my pet?

How long should I take to deal with the body in my home?

You can either:

…have me come to your home to receive your pet or

…chose to bring your pet to me.

The time that you spend with the body after your beloved pet passes can be some of the most precious time ever spent with your pet. Families have often mentioned the feeling of comfort when touching a paw, ear or some other body part that was never permitted by the pet when it was alive. Often just the ability to look at them, brings a sense of joy and possibility relief when you can view them without the labored breathing, whimpers, seizures or other impairments that made the end of their life difficult. You can call me at 412/220-7800 whenever you are ready to make arrangements.

The body will be flexible for a while after the passing, with rigor mortis setting in from 1 to 3 hours after death. While they do tend to lose fluids from their body, if you place something absorbent like a towel, blanket or pee pad under their entire body, you will capture the fluid and prevent it from leaking onto the fur.

If you want to bring your pet to me, I would recommend that you find a container or box that would suit the size of your pet. Line it with a fluffy towel or blanket and lay your pet in it as soon after passing as possible. If you have questions about this, do not hesitate to call me for additional information. 412-220-7800.

If your pet passes in the middle of the night, you may want to delay bringing the pet to CCPC until morning. Placing the pet in the coolest possible place in your home allows you time for this alternative. In the winter, this may be in an unheated room. Obviously, during warm/hot weather, an air conditioned room would serve this purpose best.

Click here to read about the next step in the process… cremation

Or if you are ready to make arrangements, or have any other questions, please call 412-220-7800.